Monday, February 13, 2012

Ugg vs. Emu

As a common practice, before buying shoes and boots, I do my research. The problem with the internet, (and I have found that this applies to other things as well: miscarriage, illness, etc.) is that there is often no consensus. For shoes, some people love em', some people don't. They last for years for some users, but fall apart after just a few wears for others. We are all made different, have different shapes, arches, etc. so it is hard to take someone's word for it. I read the reviews, add some salt, and go with my gut. If possible, I buy from places that will take returns, even if the shoes are worn, which I hate doing, but I also am a firm believer that if you invest in good shoes, they should live up to the price. In some cases, you just can't know how your feet will do in the shoes until you have them on and have worn them for a bit. Eddie Bauer is great about this, no questions asked. So in some cases, I will try to buy Keens, Clarks, Borns, or some other brands they carry from them. Sadly, they know me by name at our local store.

Unfortunately, Ugg style boots are not sold at Eddie Bauer. Endless.com had some Emu boots for sale and I was torn between going with those or investing in another pair of Uggs. I bought the short classic Uggs a few years ago, and was torn between sizes. The 7 felt snug, which the 8 fit okay... I went with the 8 and after a few wears, they felt sloppy. So, lesson 1- when buying boots lined with wool, go with the snugger fit and know that once the wool compacts, they will give a little. Uggs are also not waterproof, so if you plan on wearing them in any sort of precipitation, you'll need to treat them first. I did, and the suede never looked the same again- however, I will fully admit to the possibility of that being a user error:).

I bought several pairs (different size/ color combinations) of the Emus from Endless.com with the intent of trying them on around the house and then sending the rest back- gotta love free returns! I slipped them on and could feel the difference the in sole/ support right away. They felt more substantial and like more of a shoe than a slipper. I am all for slipper-like comfort, but I do like to feel like there is some padding between the street and my feet (and no, that was not an attempt at poetry). The insole is also removable so if you need any special orthopedics, these are the ones to go with. Or if you wear your boots without socks, at least you can replace the insoles when they get funky (no judgement there). The material says something about the boots being "double stitched"- I am far from being a craftsman (or craftswoman for that matter) but I assume that to mean that the stitching is stronger than if it were "single stitched" (yes, genius reporting over here) and that it holds up better over time. The boots stand up well on their own (though I always store them with the cardboard it came with to avoid the wrinkling on the sides) vs. my Uggs that had a tendency to flop to one side when standing up. I also like that the Emus are treated to be water-resistant during the manufacturing process itself, not sprayed on afterwards. It is actually snowing today, with a chance for freezing rain by the afternoon, and I didn't even think twice about wearing my Emus. Why buy cold-weather boots if you can't wear them in cold weather? I took my Emus to Canada over Christmas and wore them frequently in a foot snow- I never felt any wetness through the boots and because I am overly freakish about clean shoes, I wiped them off while the outsides were damp to remove whatever salt residue was on there- they still look like they are in perfect condition! My sister, who has been a long time Ugg owner, commented on how much she liked the Emus... a possible convert?

Long story (or review) short (though I fully realize that this review is anything but short), I sold my Uggs on Craigslist and bought another pair of the Emus... in eggplant! (Insert "oooooooooo" sound here). They are my "feel good" shoes for those cold days when I just don't want to get out of bed, but then think,"OK, at least I can wear my purple boots today." Yes, I am dorky that way, but hey, at least I am honest with myself!

Side note: The soles of the Emus are made up of two parts, and for the sake of honesty, I will say that mine came apart- I was playing indoor soccer with these boots (dumb- me, not the boots) and ran into a metal basketball post in the gym- it was a somewhat comical sight, but I am pretty sure I would have broken my toe if the boots hadn't taken the brunt of it (boots vs. ER visit???)- so as far as gym shoes, there are probably better options out there, but for normal boot use, this should not apply! I used liquid nails to reattach and so far, all is good.

Now I will say that Emu has two (now maybe three) lines- the Emu Bronte line is not the same as the Stinger line (which are the ones I bought). I also have no idea about the Ukala line, but my guess is that they are, again, not as good as the Stingers. So make sure if you go with the Emus, you get the Stingers, not the Bronte or Ukala- you will notice a big price different between the these two and the Stingers. The Stingers are priced around the same as Uggs, and for that being equal, I think Emu just offers a better product. I now own two and love them- won't go with Ugg boots again (their clogs however, different story!).

Happy to answer questions if I have not addressed them!:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I know this post is from several years ago but would like to know how you feel about your emu boots now. Just purchased a pair and would like to know how you protexted them from stains and water?

Shernina Nichols said...

Hi! I am still a huge fan of my Emu boots and now own them in 4 colors!! My sister has Uggs and I laugh at her when she can't wear them in the rain or snow. They are already made with a water-resistant ingredient during the manufacturing process so they should be fine. I wore mine in some sludge a few weeks ago and just wiped them off with a damp paper towel and it was fine. I've never had an issue. Now, Emu does have a "lower" line (I think its the Bronte) but if you go with the Stingers, you should be set! Good luck and let me know how it goes!:)

Unknown said...

Hi Just had to add something about Emu boots v Uggs. Have you ever noticed ladies wearing Uggs and their heel is all wonky and most times walked in? This is because Ugg uses cardboard..... yes cardboard for the heel cup where as Emu use fiber glass as their heel cup. Not only does this give the boots a better look for as long as you have them, I am on to 8 years with my first pair and 6 years with my second(6 pairs in total) but it also means your foot is supported, Emu also have arch supports, Uggs dont.... So Emu all the way xox

Maggie said...

Couldn't dissagree more with what Janet has just said. I am a proud UGG user since 2008 (my first pair and I am still using it strong) and nothing has happened to them. The heel is in a PERFECT condiction and not wonky at all(as Janet mentioned. The problem is that if you buy your regular size the heel might, after some time, affect the heel. Therefore, one should alway buy UGGs one size bigger than their usual.
All in all the quality of UGGs is immaculate. I recommend UGGs with all my heart. As for the EMU - they are far worse than I have expected. I have ordered 2 yrs ago a pair of EMUs and now they are ruined. All in all EMUs are Cheaper than UGGs but but way worse. I'd rather spend little bit more money on UGGs and wear them for years to come rather than spend less on EMUs and exchange them for a new pair after just 2 years. Tops.