Saturday, October 25, 2014

Timberland Earthkeepers Stoddard Mid Biker Boot- Could they have a longer name for a boot?!

Harness boots have long been on my "want" list. I struggled with whether harness boots were too rugged, and had some hesitancy on what I would wear them with, but still... I was always intrigued and seeing people sport them well made me think that I could do it too. Fryes carry a hefty price tag of $250+, and that coupled with the fact that they don't allow discounts on sites, I haven't pulled the trigger. And now, I may not have to!

One of my all time go-to shoe websites is www.shoebuy.com. Sadly I get no money or gains from promoting their site or the shoes they sell, but they always have deals between 20%-30% off. One of their more recent cover pictures showed a pair of boots that caught my eye: the Timberland Earthkeepers Stoddard Mid Biker boot. Given that they have free shipping and free returns, I thought I'd give it a try. I own a pair of the taller boots (Timberland Lexis boot) and last year bought two of their Rudston boots (in two different colors in case you were wondering why I'd buy two of the same pair) so I knew they'd be comfortable, well-made and durable (and um, since I own them, stylish... well, to me, anyways:)).

The Stoddard has certainly lived up to that standard! There was no breaking in period for these boots- they were comfortable out of the box and I spent a full day, complete with lots of walking, in them with no complaint. The weather here has been decent with a couple of cooler (almost cold!) days but it hasn't been enough to make me pull out my boots. These "mid" boots are perfect- not too much coverage to say "it's winter" but enough to add a fall touch to your outfit. In fact, I am surprised at how much I can wear these with- today was Grandfriends' Day at our school (I am a teacher) and I so desperately wanted to wear these, but knew that it was one of the few times in a school year when I am expected to look nicer and somewhat non-grade-school-teacher-ish. I paired these with black leggings and grey shirt dress (yep, I mixed brown and black... I am only 5 years or so behind the trend!) and was surprised at the result... if I don't say so myself. These boots partner well with jeans (skinny and boot cut), skirts, dresses and I can definitely see these as being my go-to boots- the ones you pull on when you have to run out for a quick errand or dress up with something nicer for a night out. I have a conference to attend next month and I think these will be the pair that come with (and my sneakers because running on the treadmill with these would just be... weird... just plain weird). Can you tell I am excited about these?! Also, their mid length makes it easier to pack since they don't take up as much room, which is key for me since I travel about once... every year or so... ok, so that's not a huge factor for me, but perhaps it would if I traveled more.

The fit is pretty much true to size. I usually wear an 8.5 and these fit well in that size. I will say that getting one of the two boots on is sometimes tough- I don't know if it's my foot or the shoe... I have a pair of Uggs and have the same issue so perhaps it is me! I am hoping that as the leather stretches, this won't be the case. The opening around the calf feels slightly wide to me, but admittedly my calves are not the most developed... and they're skinny to begin with, so if you have normal to somewhat wider calves, these would work for you. My friend suggested leg warmers to fill the gaps... I am not sure I am desperate enough to go to that extent, but my tune may change when the weather gets into the 20s! I bought these in the "rust" color and am glad I did, but I could see myself liking the black as well. Overall, the fit, comfort, look and versatility of these boots make them a great buy!








No comments: